Meet Reilly Claflin. Reilly is the graphic designer for the Discover Whitewater Series. She is in charge of making the new t-shirt and medal designs, as well as graphics for the social media accounts.
This is Reilly’s second year working on the race. Recently she has created the 2019 half marathon t-shirt design.
The heather t-shirts were a hit in the 2018 race so the DWS team decided to have them again.
The t-shirt will be on Gildan performance material to ensure comfort during the race.To receive one of these amazing t-shirts register for the half marathon today!
Charity Partners hold up their checks for a photo.
The Discover Whitewater Series had an extremely successful event on September 23, 2018, they were able to celebrate that success on Thursday, October 18, 2018 with a banquet! The DWS team would like to thank all of the charity partners, sponsors and volunteers for attending the banquet.
The DWS is a nonprofit organization that gives its proceeds to five Whitewater charity partners. This year the donation to each charity partner was $5,500 for a total of $27,500; in six years the DWS has donated a total of $158,500.
The five charity partners include: Working for Whitewater’s Wellness, Bethel House, Whitewater Unified School District, Whitewater LEADS and J-Hawk Aquatic Club.
September 22, 2019 is the set date for next year’s race. The DWS would not be a success without all of the hard work and determination from the volunteers, sponsors, charity partners and team leaders. Thank you to all for making the 2018 race amazing!
Our friends at UW-Whitewater Warhawk Fitness and Aquatics filmed a video on race day and shared it with us! Mitch and Wes are incredible, thank you for creating this for us. It was a great surprise.
Follow the link to watch the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j29fvLIzpMA
On Sept. 23, 2018 participants of all ages will line up at the starting line of the sixth annual DWS in Whitewater, Wisc. The DWS team is thrilled to see all our participants in September.
Below is a list and description of everything to expect in Sept. on race day weekend.
- Whitewater Main Street Festival: We’ll have a booth at the festival on Sept. 15, 2018 this year! Bring the family and tie-dye a shirt or design an encouragement sign during the day. The Bethel House and Working for Whitewater’s Wellness (W3) will have volunteers at the booth all day. While you’re there visit the other booths to see what Whitewater has to offer, the festival is 11 a.m. – 4 p.m.
- Pre-race dinner: We have a complimentary pre-race dinner for participants on Saturday, Sept. 22, 2018 4:30 p.m. – 7 p.m. The dinner is provided by A’viands and is located in the Hamilton Room of the University Center on the UW-Whitewater campus. On-site registration is available during the pre-race dinner too!
- Race day activities: The activities start bright and early at 6 am with the Kiwanis Pancake Breakfast. Every participant of the DWS gets breakfast for free. On-site registration is available on race day as well. For a full schedule of the day visit https://runwhitewater.com
- Wheelchair Division start is 7:55 a.m.
- Half marathon/half marathon relay start is 8 a.m.
- 5K start is 8:15 a.m.
- Pacer added: Special this year we added a pacer component to the half marathon! We’ll have eight pacers running on the course in bright orange shirts, so they’ll be easy to find. Participants can follow the pacer to keep a steady time for the 13.1 miles.
- FREE childcare: Did you know the DWS offer free childcare to our participants? Our Kids Korral, is a combined effort of the UW-W’s College of Education & Professional Studies and Creative and Resourceful Educators to provide activities for children in a safe environment. The Kids Korral is for children six month to 10 years and they must be registered.
- W3 Fit Kid Shuffle: Every year the DWS is in conjunction with the W3 Fit Kid Shuffle. It is a one-mile race for children 10 years and younger. The race begins at 9:15 a.m.
- Awards Ceremony: This year we split up the awards for the half marathon, half marathon relay and 5K. First, second and third (men and women) place finishers will receive a cash prize, $50 gift certificate to The Black Sheep in Whitewater and a drinking glass. All finishers of the half marathon, half marathon relay and 5k will receive a medal.
- 5K awards start at 9:45 a.m.
- Half marathon and half marathon relay awards start at 10 a.m.
- Post-race party: This year’s post-race celebration will take place at 841 Brewhouse, located at 841 E Milwaukee St in Whitewater. Participants will come together with one free glass of either beer, wine or soda. The party is from 10:30 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Whitewater Aquatic and Fitness Center is open from 9 am to 6 pm and participants can enjoy a free day pass.
We can’t wait to see everyone out there on race day! If you have any questions email us at email@example.com or message us on Facebook at RunWhitewater!
The post race nutrition for this year’s DWS will be under the bleachers near the finish line! There will be signs with arrows to guide you after you pass the finish line. Also, do not be afraid to ask any of the helpful volunteers where it is located on race day.
At the post race nutrition station you can expect to see fresh fruit, yogurt, cheese sticks, bagels and more!
Register today for the 2018 DWS!
On race day, a small section of the half marathon course will be under construction. The intersection of Franklin Street and Walworth Street will have gravel on it. The city crew promised to pack down the gravel on the course that day but, we still would like participants to continue with caution.
The DWS team apologizes for the late notice and any inconvenience this may cause.
A little gravel will not stop the DWS from continuing so, make sure to register for the race today!
Parking for the DWS is free and easy! Check out the available parking locations below.
Shuttles will start at 6 a.m. and will run every 20 minutes fromthe middle school, and campus to the high school through 12:30 p.m.
Whitewater High School is the closest location to the start of the race. Participants will be able to enter the high school from Elizabeth Street and the West entrance until 8 o’clock. After 8 o’clock, due to the path the race takes, participants will only be able to use the West etrance.
Whitewater Middle School will have available parking in the main lot, the loop, and along Melrose, Laurel, Court and Kay Streets. There are two handicapped spots in the main lot. A shuttle bus will pick up and drop off participants at the loop and to the high school.
Campus parking includes UW-W Center of the Arts (CA) lot, Laurentide Lot and along Prince Street. There are handicap parking spots available in the CA parking lot. A shuttle bus will pick up and drop off participants from the front door of the CA, to the high school.
View the parking map here.
Register for the 2018 DWS today!
Participants for the DWS get to look forward to attending the Whitewater Kiwanis Club Pancake Breakfast! The breakfast will be held the morning of the race at Whitewater High School 6:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
The Whitewater Kiwanis Breakfast Club make the best pancakes in town!
If you want to try the Kiwanis Club Pancake Breakfast, be sure to register
for the 2018 DWS today!
The Discover Whitewater Series is now active on Instagram. Stay connected by following us @runwhitewater .
Use the hashtag #runwhitewater or #DWS2018 in your instagram posts to create a running community in Whitewater!
Make sure to follow the DWS Instagram and register for the 2018 race today!
The Discover Whitewater Series (DWS): Half Marathon, Half Marathon Relay and 5K has mean team members that are instrumental to the success of the race.
There are more than 30 sponsors, an executive board, volunteer team leaders and volunteer members. Without all of those people the race would not be possible.
It all starts in the DWS office with a few bright and talented faces.
Meet Brittney McConnohie
McConnohie just finished her Junior year at the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater, studying marketing. She started as the Public Relations manager for the DWS in April.
McConnohie has been responsible for getting the DWS name out to the surrounding area. She has contacted races in Wisconsin and Northern Illinois and has sent out thousands of DWS race flyers to them.
“I am beyond excited to start working with DWS. I cannot wait for race day to come!”
Register today and meet Brittney on race day!